Martha's Amazon Store

Monday, June 28, 2010

Restoring Factory Settings

My computer had gotten slower and slower, so I decided to erase everything, and start all over. I'd signed up for Dell "Your Tech Team" and decided to phone them before getting started. Once I was halfway through erasing everything, and realized they hadn't given me all the required start up disks. So, this time, I figured I'd make the phone call.

I spoke with a helpful technician, who told me rather than formatting everything, to try to Restore Factory Settings instead. I'd still have to back-up everything first.

After a couple of hours, we were up and running, and he gave me one more piece of advice. In about a week, I'd get about 30+ windows updates, and a few days after that, I'd get another batch of updates. The entire system would work much better if I wait until after these updates to start installing software and copying my files back. Talk about annoying!

I guess the idea is that the read head on the hard disk doesn't need to bounce around as much if we wait.

Also, be sure to create restore points!

One last tip, he told me. Restore to factory settings every six months!

Well, I'm doing what he says, and we'll see if the machine runs any faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment