Martha's Amazon Store

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Photographic Techniques

I like to call myself a photo enthusiast. I've been taking photos for 40 years, so in that time I've picked up a few tips.

1. Be sure to use your LCD screen to proof your pictures as soon as possible. Since your pictures can look great on your two-inch screen, it's a good idea to enlarge them on your screen to make sure they still look good. I've taken many shots that look good, until I enlarge them.

2. Beware of camera shake. I use attach my camera to ThePod, to create sharp pictures. Also, my camera pod is easier to haul around than a tripod. But that's not all I do. I've learned the process of pressing the shutter release will also cause camera shake, so I often use a self-timer. Some cameras have self-timers with more than one delay setting.



3. Back-up your photos in the field. I use a Photosafe II, because I simply insert the memory chip and hit copy. If you want two copies to be on the safe side, you can insert your regular memory chip, then a compact disk and copy from the memory chip to the compact disk!




4. I utilize the scene modes, such as Sunset, Landscape, etc, to make my pictures even better.

5. Use the rule of thirds for composing your shots. Instead of putting your subject in the center, divide your screen into a tic-tac-toe grid, and place your subject at one of the places your lines intersect.

6. Use the built-in frame-assist to line up horizons, buildings, etc. Or, you can use the lcd edges as a guide.

7. Protect yourself by registering your pictures at copyright.gov.

No comments:

Post a Comment