Martha's Amazon Store

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Do You Know What the White Cane Means?

In a recent Wall Street Journal Article, I learned that people under the age of 35 don't know what the white cane means. http://www.wsj.com/articles/hey-whats-with-the-white-cane-1476228132 Back in school, we were told that a white cane means the person is blind or visually impaired. I knew a man that went to college with me that was 75% blind. He could see a little during the day, but he needed his cane for nighttime. Most people use the white cane to scan the sidewalk ahead for obstacles. It's not unusual to see the person clicking the cane ahead of him with his cane. He's scanning the area ahead like you and I would scan with our eyes. He clicks with the cane to determine where the steps and curbs are. I came across a woman on our recent cruise that had a white cane. So, I know people are still using them. If you see someone with a white cane, grant them some courtesy and give them some room. I may even try to point out obstacles for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment