Martha's Amazon Store

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Computer Hassle! What? No DVD Drives?

We tried to upgrade a Windows 7 to Windows 10. It had been getting crankier and crankier. We thought it had done it, but asked for a restart. Then it crashed. My husband had lost the recovery drive long ago, and somehow it had removed all my restore points in the so called upgrade. I know I had restore points at one time, because I'd had to use them a few times. So, off to Best Buy for another computer. Our sales man pointed at a machine and said it still had a DVD drive. My first question: You mean some don't? Apparently the notebooks haven't had a DVD drive for some time, and they're phasing them out for the Desktop models. Fortunately, we could still get a computer with a DVD Drive. Good thing too, because we had just purchased Quicken and Turbotax in DVD format! Move forward to installing my Quicken and Turbotax on the new machine. I couldn't find a button anywhere on the machine to open the DVD drive! Been using computer for over 35 years, and I couldn't open that annoying drive! Finally, I remembered we could open it by going into explorer and right clicking on the drive and pressing EJECT. But be careful! EJECT is right next to FORMAT. Now the kicker! I won't be able to install a lot of my software on newer systems, because they won't have DVD drives!

No comments:

Post a Comment